Striving for emigration

Contrary to the popular opinion that most Jews had underestimated the seriousness of the situation, many tried to leave after the "Anschluss". Artur Fantl-Brumlik from Bischofstetten already sought in June 1938, his wife Hilde and the children Gertrude and Walter a guarantor in the USA. They demanded an affidavit, a maintenance guarantee declaration by a US citizen, and set immigration quotas for the respective country of origin. The Fantl-Brumlik family eventually got the longed-for affidavit, bureaucratic chicanery of the American Embassy delayed their departure in such a way that departure was no longer possible. Artur, Hilde and Gertrude Fantl-Brumlik moved to Auschwitz, only Walter survived the concentration camp.

June 1938: Artur Fantl-Brumlik remembers his non-Jewish school friend Frank Gruber, who had emigrated to the USA in 1921, who had written a map from New York in 1921, and asked him to provide guarantors.

August 1938: The Fantl-Brumlik family receives a reservation number from the American Consulate, which was the prerequisite for obtaining a definite quotation number.

July/August 1939: Frank Gruber informed Artur Fantl-Brumlik of the address of Dr. L. Gorden and Salomon Klapp, who had agreed to take over the guarantee. In his letter of thanks, Artur Fantl-Brumlik asks for an affidavit.

January 1940: The American sponsor Solomon Klapp bids that he is willing and able to provide support for the Fantl-Brumlik family. Since the announced affidavits have not arrived, Artur Fantl-Brumlik is asking for intervention at the Emigration Council of IKG.

February/March 1940: For the emigration one needed the proof of a professional qualification. The "Reichsbauernschaft Melk" confirms Artur Fantl-Brumlik's extensive knowledge in agriculture. He then looks for passports for himself and his family, which are valid for one year on 27 March 1940.

May 1940: The American Consulate rejected the guarantee of a Mr. Kleinman and asked for several additional papers. 

Probably at the end of 1940: Artur Fantl-Brumlik asks for the booking of the life-saving ship passage. The family had now forced to move to Vienna 2, the father could work with the road construction, the son for the IKG Vienna. The legal limits were now definite. In October 1942 the whole family was deported to Theresienstadt. The parents and the daughter were murdered in Auschwitz, son Walter survived.