Only with the achievements of the Revolution of 1848 were Jews permitted free settlement and thus also the foundation of their communities. Jewish immigrants moved into Lower Austria particularly from Bohemia, Moravia and Western Hungary (today’s Burgenland), they spoke German and were traditional in religious terms but not orthodox. 

1863 saw the official foundation of the Jewish Religious Community (IKG) St. Pölten; the catchment area included Traismauer in the north, St. Aegyd am Neuwald in the south, Krummnußbaum in the west and Hadersdorf-Weidlingau in the east. 

In 1938, the IKG St. Pölten had approximately 1000 members; roughly 400 of them lived within the city boundaries of St. Pölten. Around 422 Jews were murdered in the Shoah. If the people with unknown fate are included 575 are assumed at the moment. After the war only few families returned to St. Pölten; there was no re-foundation of the community. Today, only one Jew lives in St. Pölten.